Archive

Tag Archives: Website

Well, it is always good to have a refreshing layout. I spent like 2 days to tweak my website layout. It’s really awesome. Useless widgets are removed and background changed. There is even a whole new typography. I love it so much!

nicholas-workshop

For both server and website developing, I usually use Xampp’s Apache to create a localhost server. However, I hate to put my important files in the htdocs inside Apache. Instead I would rather put the folder inside Documents, and make a link to htdocs.

First, create a symbolic link from your actual folder to htdocs. For example, ln -s /Users/Nicholas/Documents/Xampp Workspace /Applications/Xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs/nicholas.

<Image Pending>

However, this is not done because the owner of your directory is Nicholas, but not “nobody”. Also, we cannot change the folder’s owner to nobody as this is actually an illegal owner. So what we gonna do is add Nicholas as the user in Apache. [Caution: This can actually create a security issue on your computer, since now the Xampp can access files of the user Nicholas]
<Image Pending>

To do that, add “user Nicholas” to the end /Applications/Xampp/xamppfiles/etc/httpd.conf. Then restart Xampp.
<Image Pending>

Actually, this website was my portfolio webpage before becoming a wordpress. It is moved to here: nicholasworkshop.com/portfolio. Using wordpress, I put the old webpage aside and always forgot to transfer the information from it to the front page. Anyway, I hope this can remind me of the projects and webpages I created.

Today, I moved my nicholasworkshop.wordpress.com to my owned domain nicholasworkshop.com, integrated with my old portfolio website. Thanks to my subscribers, my blog has been having a steady viewing rate over time. However, all those traffics went to wordpress.com as the blog was hosted there. To redirect them back to my domain, I have been preparing the things needed for a long time.

As a record, I had my blog in BlogSpot and WordPress before, and now they are redirected to nicholasworkshop.

Anyways, it is finally here and thank you for checking out my blog!

It’s quite often for a developer to make use of the user agent to determine what browser does a user used, especially for those who develop web services and websites. Recently I found a website which has a huge database of mobile device information, including the user agent string and even the functions supported in the device browser.

ScientiaMobile WURFL Explorer
http://www.tera-wurfl.com/explore/search.php?action=browse

Tera-WURFL Explorer – Samsung GT-9100 (Galaxy SII)
http://www.tera-wurfl.com/explore/?action=wurfl_id&id=samsung_gt_i9100_ver1

Usually while we extract information from other websites, character encoding might not correct. For example, j-jis.com is encoded with Shift-JIS. Therefore if your MySQL charset is UTF-8, it causes incorrect information. To handle the changing of character encoding, we can use iconv in PHP.

$url = "http://j-jis.com/";
$html = file_get_contents($url);
$html = preg_replace("/rn|n|t/", "", $html); //remove unwanted characters
$html = iconv("Shift_JIS","UTF-8",$html); //convert encoding
echo $html;

Json has been an efficient way to handle information and message exchanges in web programming. For example, I usually use PHP to connect MySQL and retrieve information, then display as Json. So a webpage can “AJAX” the displayed Json to create a dynamic view on itself. However, while the information involves unicode characters, PHP turn them into unreadable codes. After google, I found the following is the best way to solve the problem.

$string = '你好嗎';
echo json_encode($string); //Output "u4f60u597du55ce"
echo preg_replace("#u([0-9a-f]+)#ie", "iconv('UCS-2', 'UTF-8', pack('H4', '1'))", json_encode($string)); // Output "你好嗎"
%d bloggers like this: